World Bulletin / News Desk
China said on Friday a South Korean man had tested positive for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), China's first confirmed case, but that it had not found any symptoms in the 38 people who had close contact with him.
The World Health Organization said on Friday 10 people in South Korea were confirmed as having MERS, but there has been no sustained human-to-human spread. The UN agency said that it was not recommending screening of passengers or that travel or trade restrictions be imposed on South Korea due to the outbreak.
China's National Health and Family Planning Commission confirmed the man's diagnosis after laboratory tests on Friday, the agency said in a statement on its website.
The patient, who is in isolation in hospital in the southern city of Huizhou, had a fever and a chest examination showed possible pneumonia, the National Health and Family Planning Commission said.
The health authorities said 38 people who had had close contact with the victim had not exhibited "unusual" symptoms.
The 44-year-old man, who is a son of another patient who was confirmed last week to have been infected inSouth Korea, had travelled to Huizhou after first arriving in Hong Kong on Tuesday, according to South Korean and Chinese authorities.
First identified in humans in 2012, MERS is caused by a coronavirus from the same family as the one that triggered China's deadly 2003 outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. There is no cure or vaccine.Güncelleme Tarihi: 29 Mayıs 2015, 12:25