World Bulletin/News Desk
Ten fighters were killed in this year's first two drone strikes in Pakistan, officials said on Thursday, six months after the attacks were suspended by Washington to give it space to pursue peace talks with the Taliban.
Military sources said six militants including four Uzbeks were killed in the first strike on Wednesday around five km north of Miranshah, the capital of the North Waziristan tribal region.
The second attack killed four militants in the same area around 2 a.m. on Thursday.
This is first drone attack in 2014. The last drone strike occurred in December 2013 in North Waziristan.
Over 3,300 people have been killed in 380 drone attacks since 2004, of which 70 per cent have been carried out on North Waziristan.
The U.S. media last month quoted unnamed senior Obama administration officials that the CIA had abandoned its drone operation in Pakistan’s restive tribal belt, which, according to them, was no more a safe haven for Al-Qaeda.
Independent sources and human rights organizations, including Human Rights Watch and the Amnesty International blame the U.S. for killing civilians including women and children, in drone attacks in Waziristan region. However, the U.S. administration denies the human rights organizations’ claim.
Though there are no specific figures about civilian deaths in drone attacks, by some estimates they stand between 50 and 60 percent of the casualties, raising concerns that the attacks might ultimately alienate local communities and further bolster militant ranks.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 12 Haziran 2014, 12:58