Indian court finds Mumbai suspect guilty

The lone surviving suspect from the attacks that killed 166 people, will be sentenced on Tuesday.

Indian court finds Mumbai suspect guilty

An Indian court on Monday found a Pakistani man guilty on 86 charges from the 2008 Mumbai attacks, including "waging war" on India and murder, in a trial that strained ties between New Delhi and Islamabad.

Mohammad Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving suspect from the attacks that killed 166 people, will be sentenced on Tuesday and could face the gallows.

Pakistani national Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, 22, was found guilty on the most serious charges over the assault that saw 10 gunmen attack three luxury hotels, a restaurant, a Jewish centre and the main CST train station.

"You have been found guilty of waging war against India, and killing people at CST, killing government officials and abetting the other nine terrorists," judge M.L. Tahaliyani said as he delivered his verdict.

Kasab was convicted on most of the 86 charges against him and faces the death penalty.

Dressed in a long white shirt from his native state of Punjab, Kasab stood impassively in the dock in the special prison court as the verdict was announced.

"Appeal"

Two Indian nationals Fahim Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed accused of providing logistical support to the suspects by supplying them with handwritten maps of the city were found not guilty.

The widely-expected judgement came after the prosecution said there was "overwhelming" evidence against Kasab, including DNA and fingerprints, security camera footage and photographs showing him with a powerful AK-47 assault rifle.

Kasab, a school drop-out, was captured in a photograph walking through Mumbai's train station wearing a backpack and carrying an AK-47 in one of the defining images of the attacks.

The former labourer initially denied the charges, then pleaded guilty, before reverting to his original stance and claiming that he was set up by the police and had been in Mumbai only to watch films.

Observers expect the judge to hand down the maximum death sentence when a sentence is announced on Tuesday, but a lengthy, possibly open-ended, appeal through the Indian courts is likely.


Agencies

Last Mod: 03 Mayıs 2010, 16:32
Add Comment