N.Korea responds to South ship accusations in letter to UN

North Korea has sent a letter to the U.N. Security Council rejecting accusations from South Korea.

N.Korea responds to South ship accusations in letter to UN

North Korea has sent a letter to the U.N. Security Council rejecting accusations from South Korea that it was behind the sinking of one of its neighbour's navy ships, saying it was the victim of a U.S.-led conspiracy.

The letter, addressed to the U.N. Security Council president from the North's permanent representative to the body, followed the filing of a complaint by the South last week demanding action by the international community to deter further aggression.

A team of international investigators led by South Korea's military said in May that a North Korean submarine torpedoed the corvette Cheonan on March 26, snapping the vessel in half in a blast and killing 46 sailors.

North Korea, through its official media, has already rejected the charge, saying it was a ploy by the South's President Lee Myung-bak aimed at political gains for his conservative government.

"With time it is becoming clearer through military and scientific analysis that the 'investigation findings' by the U.S. and the South, which had been from their announcement subject to doubts and criticism, is nothing more than a conspiracy aimed at achieving U.S. political and military goals," said the letter, signed by the North's permanent representative to the U.N. Sin Son-ho and carried by the official KCNA news agency.

"If the Security Council goes ahead with discussions on the 'investigation findings' ... no one will be able to guarantee there won't be grave consequences to peace and stability on the Korean peninsula."

Reuters

Last Mod: 09 Haziran 2010, 15:40
Add Comment