A Pakistani court adjourned on Friday the trial of a CIA agent charged with killing two Pakistanis until March 3, dismissing U.S. demands for his release.
Raymond Davis, shot dead two men in the eastern city of Lahore last month. He said he acted "in self-defence" and the United States claimed he was "a diplomat".
But a UK report said, based on interviews in the US and Pakistan, that the 36-year-old former special forces soldier is employed by the CIA. "It's beyond a shadow of a doubt," said a senior Pakistani intelligence official.
"He (Davis) said that he should be given immunity ... a discussion will be held on this at the next hearing," said Asad Manzoor Butt, a lawyer for the families of the two men Davis killed.
Davis has been charged with double-murder and faces possible execution.
"He should be treated the same way he treated Pakistanis," said Muzammil Mukhtar, a labourer in a factory near Kot Lakhpat jail, where Davis has been detained since Feb. 11 and where his trial began on Friday.
"We should not care about our relations with America. These have never been good."
Davis is being held under tight security.
Protesters have burned effigies of him and U.S. flags since details of the killings became public.
U.S. Consul General General Carmela A. Conroy attended the trial, but reporters and other members of the public were not allowed in.
The murder trial is one of two legal cases involving Davis.
On March 14, a Lahore court will decide whether he enjoys diplomatic immunity.
"Davis case is not so simple as it is sometimes portrayed by some. It is a complex case involving issues in national and international law as well as grave sensitivities that cannot be wished away," presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said.
"The court has not only taken cognisance of it but also declared that it will decide on the immunity issue. We respect the court and will wait for its verdict."
Last Mod: 25 Şubat 2011, 11:51