World Bulletin / News Desk
A Russian court paved the way for a potential closure of the video-sharing website YouTube by banning an anti-Islam video on Monday that sparked violent protests across the Muslim world.
Moscow's Tverskoy Court ruled that the crude video, which was made in the United States, was "extremist".
Prosecutor Viktoria Maslova told the court that the video "puts the Islamic religion in a bad light and aids the rise of religious intolerance in the Russian Federation", the Itar-Tass news agency reported.
Under legislation that goes into effect on Nov. 1, Internet sites carrying content banned in Russia will be placed on a register, after which Internet providers will have one day to block access.
Google Inc, the owner of YouTube, said it was ready to block access of the film to users in Russia once it received the court's decision, the RIA agency reported. No one at Google was available for comment to Reuters.
Google has blocked the 13-minute video in a number of Muslim countries including Egypt and Libya where U.S. diplomatic premises have been attacked by protesters.
Authorities in Russia, home to 20 million Muslims, have been quick to seize on the Muslim reaction to the online video to point to the dangers of hurting religious sensitivities.
A court in the North Caucasus region of Chechnya decided last week to ban the video as extremist, local media reported.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 02 Ekim 2012, 09:58