S. Korea to track cellphones to prevent MERS spread

S. Korean officals reported 14 more cases of MERS, bringing the total in the country's outbreak to 64, and said a fifth person infected with the virus had died.

S. Korea to track cellphones to prevent MERS spread

World Bulletin / News Desk 

South Korean authorities will track the cellphones of hundreds of people under quarantine to prevent the spread of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).

South Korean officals on Sunday reported 14 more cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), bringing the total in the country's outbreak to 64, and said a fifth person infected with the virus had died.

South Korea's outbreak of the often-deadly virus, first reported on May 20, is the largest outside the Middle East. The patient who died was a 75-year-old man who had been in a hospital emergency room where another MERS patient was present, officials said.

The government, criticised over its lack of transparency in handling the outbreak, bowed to public pressure on Sunday and identified 24 health facilities where infections took place or MERS patients visited.

"Please understand this is an unavoidable measure for the sake of our neighbours and families," Deputy Prime Minister Choi Kyung-hwan told a news briefing in the central city of Sejong, where he announced the plan to track the mobile phones of people under quarantine to ensure they stay at home.

Nearly 2,000 people in South Korea are under quarantine, some in health care facilities but most at home, including an entire village of about 105 people in the southwest after a resident who visited a hospital where the country's first patient with MERS was treated turned out to be infected.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 07 Haziran 2015, 09:39
YORUM EKLE