World Bulletin / News Desk
The heir to the Samsung business empire, which includes the world's biggest smartphone maker, was sentenced Friday to five years in prison for bribery and other offences in connection with the scandal that brought down South Korean president Park Geun-Hye.
The vice-chairman of Samsung Electronics, 49, arrived at Seoul Central District Court on a justice ministry bus handcuffed, bound with white rope around his dark jacket, and carrying an envelope of documents.
Lee was found guilty of bribery, embezzlement, perjury and other charges centred on payments and promises by Samsung totalling 43.3 billion won (around $40 million) to Park's secret confidante Choi Soon-Sil.
The court found the money was in return for policy favours including government support for Lee's hereditary succession at the group, after his father was left bedridden by a heart attack in 2014.
The defence had denied the charges, saying Samsung was pressured by Park to make the donations under duress -- and that Lee was not aware of them and did not approve them. Four other top Samsung executives were also convicted and received sentences of up to four years.
Lee's lawyers said he would appeal.
The demonstrators who mounted giant candlelit protests against Park last year also targeted Lee and other chiefs of the chaebols, as the family-controlled conglomerates that dominate Asia's fourth-largest economy are known.
South Korea's GDP is still growing but social and economic frustrations have mounted over the benefits not being equally shared.
Around 800 riot police were deployed around the court to prevent possible clashes between rival sets of demonstrators, Yonhap said.
It was deluged with hundreds of applications for the 30 seats in courtroom 417 available to members of the public, which were allocated by lottery.
Park's own trial began in the same room in May, and it also saw Lee's father Lee Kun-Hee convicted of tax and other offences in 2008, receiving a suspended sentence.Last Mod: 25 Ağustos 2017, 11:15