South Korea will formally blame North Korea for launching a torpedo at one of its navy ships in March, killing 46 sailors, The Washington Post reported on Tuesday.
Citing unidentified U.S. and East Asian officials, the newspaper said on its Web site that Seoul reached the conclusion that North Korea was responsible for the attack after investigators from Australia, Britain, Sweden and the United States pieced together portions of the ship.
The Cheonan sank on March 26 after an explosion on the vessel as it sailed in the Yellow Sea off South Korea's west coast.
The Washington Post article said the officials, who spoke on condition on anonymity because South Korea had not yet disclosed the results of the investigation, said analyses showed the torpedo was identical to a North Korean torpedo that had been previously obtained by South Korea.
South Korean officials had made little secret of their belief Pyongyang was behind the attack.
The report comes amid a growing chill in relations between the rival Koreas, which remain technically at war under a truce that ended fighting in the 1950-1953 Korean War.
Seoul's belief in the North's involvement in the sinking of its navy corvette Cheonan has also been a source of friction between Seoul and Beijing.
ReutersLast Mod: 18 Mayıs 2010, 22:04