Suicide bomb attack kills 5 officers in Pakistan's Swat

A suicide bomber killed five people and wounded 40 in an attack on a security forces' convoy in Pakistan's Swat valley, officials and witnesses said.

Suicide bomb attack kills 5 officers in Pakistan's Swat

 

A suicide bomber killed five people and wounded 40 in an attack on a security forces' convoy in Pakistan's Swat valley on Thursday, officials and witnesses said.

The bombing struck the Mingora town after a relative lull in the valley, where the military launched a major offensive last year.

"Five people have been killed in the suicide attack which apparently targeted a security forces' convoy," a senior government official, Imran Qureshi, told Reuters.

Eight vehicles, including two of the security forces, were damaged and a woman passer-by was among the dead in the attack near the town's main bus stop. There were no casualties among the security forces, police said.

Intelligence officials put the death toll at seven and said the attacker appeared to have been on foot, an account supported by a witness.

"The man was sitting in my bus and got down as soon as I pulled over and ran towards security forces' vehicles and then there was a big explosion," said Siddique Jan, the driver of the bus.

Pakistani army launched last year a massive offensive in Swat Valley, breaking the deal between Taliban and government over a Sharia administration.

Taliban gained the right to form provincial administration, implementing Shar’ia laws in Swat districts under the deal. But Taliban fighters entered neighbouring districts, including one just 100 km (60 miles) northwest of Islamabad.

Taliban says the offensive was launched by government to please U.S. who has pressured to break it.

Taliban says Pakistani government had no respect for any pact and They kept violating every agreement and if this goes on.

After scoring significant gains in Swat in October the military launched another major offensive on South Waziristan, a militant bastion on the Afghan border.

The offensive was extended to Orakzai in March.


Reuters

Güncelleme Tarihi: 15 Temmuz 2010, 15:32
YORUM EKLE