World Bulletin/News Desk
Floods, landslides and mass evacuations were triggered Monday by what the Philippines will hope is its final tropical storm of the season, local media reported.
At least 11 provinces were battered by Tropical Storm Seniang Seniang – with sustained winds of 40 miles per hour (65 kilometers per hour) and gusts of up to 50 mph (80 kph) – as it made landfall in the eastern province of Surigao del Sur, on the southern island of Mindanao.
Two men were reported killed in swollen rivers.
As the storm moved towards Butuan City and Cabadbaran City almost 1,000 people living in coastal villages and riversides were moved to evacuation centers, ANC News said.
In Surigao del Sur, 11,000 people were evacuated to temporary shelters, which the national disaster agency described as a pre-emptive measure to avoid casualties as strong winds and rains hit the province.
"Because of this situation several municipalities have already been flooded, and many villages are not passable due to the rise in water level," Surigao del sur Governor Johnny Pimentel told ANC.
Fishermen in Hinatuan town were also advised not to sail due to possible storm surges.
Pimentel added: "At the moment we are experiencing strong winds and heavy rains. Actually heavy rains started last Saturday and have been ongoing and consistent over the last three days.”
In the central province of Iloilo more than a hundred passengers bound for Bacolod City were stranded at the port of Iloilo City. Many passengers had to spend the night at the terminal.
Seniang brought heavy rains in Mindanao and some parts of the Visayas where storm alerts have also been raised.
The country's weather agency said Seniang could be the last cyclone to hit the Philippines this year.
Earlier this month, Typhoon Hagupit affected more than 1 million Filipinos, causing at least 21 deaths. Last year Typhoon Yolanda left more than 6,300 dead with a further 1,000 still missing. An average of 15 typhoons hit the Philippines every year.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 29 Aralık 2014, 12:43