Turkey's foreign trade minister said on Saturday that construction sites of several Turkish firms in Libyan cities of Banghazi and Darnah had been looted during the ongoing anti-government demonstrations in this country.
Turkish State Minister Zafer Caglayan, who is currently in Brussels to hold a series of talks, commented on the turmoil in Libya.
Caglayan said construction sites of Turkish firms Ozaltin, Mesa, Sistem and Arsel had been looted during the crisis in the country.
He said majority of the Turkish citizens in Banghazi had taken shelter at houses of their Libyan friends, while some had proceeded to safer locations.
The minister noted that Turkish Airlines (THY) and Turkish foreign ministry officials held talks to coordinate the rapid transfer of Turkish citizens in Libya back to Turkey.
"We hope this chaos in Libya ends as soon as possible, life gets back to normal, and security of our firms and citizens in this country can be maintained," Caglayan said.
Security of Turkish citizens
At the same time, Turkey's ministry of foreign affairs said on Saturday that Turkish embassy in Tripoli and consulate general in Banghazi worked in coordination with Libyan authorities in order to ensure the security of the Turks living in Libya amidst the ongoing turmoil in this country.
Selcuk Unal, spokesperson for the Turkish foreign ministry, said that Turkey attached great importance to Libya's peace and prosperity, and therefore, was concerned about the ongoing incidents in the country.
"Currently, our embassy in Tripoli and consulate general in Banghazi are carrying out activities in coordination with local authorities in an effort to ensure the security of the Turkish citizens living in Libya," Unal said.
"We closely monitor the latest developments and we are getting prepared to take the necessary measures," the spokesperson also noted.
AALast Mod: 19 Şubat 2011, 15:48