One Turkish worker killed in Libya: Davutoglu

Davutoglu said, that Turkey was not leaving Libya for good, but it was taking precautions.

One Turkish worker killed in Libya: Davutoglu

Turkey's minister of foreign affairs said on Wednesday that one Turkish worker had been killed during the ongoing turmoil in Libya.

Speaking to reporters, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Turkish national Yunus Emre Celik, who had been working at a construction site near Libya's capital Tripoli, had died at his workplace during the uprising in the north African country.

"We are currently conducting the widest evacuation process in Turkey's history," Davutoglu said, adding thousands of Turkish nationals had been brought back to Turkey so far.

Thanking the relevant Turkish ministries and General Staff for their support in the process, Davutoglu said, "We are trying to reach 25,000 Turkish nationals in such a chaos. Including the 3,000 citizens that departed from Libya via sea route this morning, a total of 5,099 citizens have been evacuated in the last 72 hours".

Davutoglu also noted that Turkey was not leaving Libya for good, but it was taking precautions.

Week-long unrest left hundreds of people dead in Libya as people took to the streets to demonstrate against Muammar Gaddafi's 42-year reign.
Turkish authorities continue to display efforts to save the Turkish citizens trapped in the turmoil in the country.

"Orhangazi-1" and "Osmangazi-1" ferries, which arrived in Libya on Tuesday to bring back Turkish nationals, departed from Benghazi port with 3,000 passengers on board
early on Wednesday.

Turkish foreign ministry has also announced that Turkey planned to send 5 planes to Tripoli on Wednesday to carry 1,800 Turkish citizens back to homeland.

AA

Last Mod: 23 Şubat 2011, 13:06
Add Comment