Turkey, Qatar stop Lebanon mediation for more consultations

Turkey and Qatar FMs left Beirut early Thursday, announcing they were halting their mediation effort "at the moment" until they consult with their leaderships.

Turkey, Qatar stop Lebanon mediation for more consultations

The foreign ministers of Turkey and Qatar left Beirut early Thursday, announcing they were halting their mediation effort "at the moment" until they consult with their leaderships.

A terse statement issued by Turkey's Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu and Qatar's FM and Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani said their work was built on the Saudi-Syrian efforts.

"On the basis of the tripartite meeting in Damascus ... where an agreement was reached to dispatch the foreign ministers of Qatar and Turkey to Beirut to continue efforts based on the Saudi-Syrian initiative, a draft paper had been drawn up taking into account the political and legal requirements in solving the current crisis in Lebanon on the basis of the Saudi-Syrian paper," said the statement issued before their departure.

"But due to some reservations, we have decided to stop our efforts at this moment and leave Beirut to consult with our leaderships," Davutoglu and Sheikh Hamad said.

"New approach"

The foreign ministers of Turkey and Qatar waited on Wednesday for a reply from Hizbullah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah on a number of ideas, An-Nahar newspaper said Thursday.

It quoted Al-Manar television channel as saying that the Turkish and Qatari envoys had presented Nasrallah with "ideas" on resolving the issues of the tribunal and the new government based on re-formulation and rescheduling of the items.

The envoys then heard an explanation from Nasrallah regarding the outcome of the developments and the path of the Syrian-Saudi initiative and how it was aborted due to direct U.S. intervention and responsibilities required from PM Saad Hariri, added Al-Manar.

It quoted Nasrallah as assuring the delegation that the Opposition has a "new approach" following the submittal of the indictment to pre-trial judge Daniel Fransen on Monday.

"What was proposed before issuance of the indictment is no longer applicable," Nasrallah was quoted as telling Davutoglu and Sheikh Hamad.

Al-Manar said Nasrallah had promised to study the proposals put forward by Turkey and Qatar.

"The Opposition will take the appropriate decision based on the national interest," An-Manar added.

An-Nahar quoted diplomatic sources as saying that the Turkish and Qatari envoys had asked Hizbullah and its allies to revoke an earlier decision rejecting the renaming of Saad Hariri.

"We are holding contacts to find an exit to the problem," Davutoglu told An-Nahar.


Agencies

 

Related news reports:

 
Last Mod: 20 Ocak 2011, 10:16
Add Comment