Turkish indictment seeks life for 4 Israeli commanders for deadly ship raid

Sabah said the indictment had been submitted to İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor Turan Çolakkadı, who will either approve or reject a request to submit it to a relevant court.

Turkish indictment seeks life for 4 Israeli commanders for deadly ship raid


World Bulletin / News Desk

An indictment prepared by an İstanbul prosecutor seeks 10 aggravated life imprisonment sentences for each of the four Israeli commanders involved in a 2010 Israeli attack on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla that left nine Turks dead, a Turkish daily reported on Wednesday.

The details on the indictment come days before the second anniversary of the deadly Israeli attack on the Mavi Marmara on May 31, 2010. The Sabah daily reported on Wednesday that the indictment was prepared by İstanbul Specially Authorized Prosecutor Mehmet Akif Ekinci against the Israeli soldiers and officers who carried out the raid and ordered it.

The daily added that the 144-page-long indictment mentions 10 “slain Turks,” including Süleyman Söylemez who was among those injured in the raid and who is still in a vegetative state. The document also mentions 490 victims and complainants, including 189 people who were injured in the attacks.

The indictment reportedly seeks 10 aggravated life imprisonment sentences for former Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) Chief of General Staff Gabi Ashkenazi, Naval Forces commander Vice Adm. Eliezer Marom, Israel's military intelligence chief Maj. Gen. Amos Yadlin and Air Forces Intelligence head Brig. Gen. Avishai Levi.

The prosecutor reportedly heard the testimonies of nearly 600 witnesses, which included passengers aboard the ship and the relatives of victims as part of the investigation.

Sabah said the indictment had been submitted to İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor Turan Çolakkadı, who will either approve or reject a request to submit it to a relevant court.

Nine Turks were killed when the Israeli Navy attacked a Gaza-bound aid flotilla in May 2010. Following the attack, Israel's government set up the Turkel Commission, a commission of inquiry headed by Israeli Supreme Court Justice Jacob Turkel, to investigate the attack. Turkish leaders dismissed the Israeli local investigation, and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon repeated the demand for an independent investigation, stating that the Israeli investigation would not have international credibility.

Turkey also established an inquiry, which concluded, in contrast to the Israeli inquiry, that the Gaza blockade and the Israeli raid are illegal. After the Turkish inquiry, Turkey described the raid as a violation of international law “tantamount to banditry and piracy” and described the killings of activists as “state-sponsored terrorism.” Concerning the Israeli inquiry, Turkey said its own commission was “surprised, appalled and dismayed that the national inquiry process in Israel has resulted in the exoneration of the Israeli armed forces.”

 

Güncelleme Tarihi: 23 Mayıs 2012, 12:52

SeydiAli

YORUM EKLE