Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood on Saturday advised the country's military rulers, who have banned strike action, to open dialogue with workers and assure them their lots will improve soon.
"We believe the people who sacrificed themselves and their youth for the sake of improving and rebuilding the country are able to be patient for some time in order to reclaim their full rights ... provided that officials are committed to total frankness, sincerity and transparency," the group said.
Strikes emboldened by the uprising that toppled Mubarak last week have spread through Egypt's banks, factories, mines and government offices, mainly in the public sector.
The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, now in control of the country, said the strikes threatened the economy and national security and that it would not allow them to continue.
The Brotherhood advised the council to ask institutions to name individuals to represent workers and start "constructive dialogue" with them.
It also said, the council should recognise the "enormous injustice" done to certain classes under the ousted government and assure workers their conditions will improve gradually and that the gap between high and low earners will be narrowed.
ReutersGüncelleme Tarihi: 20 Şubat 2011, 11:55