Egypt says EU aid to continue

Last year, the EU pledged a total of 5 billion euros in aid to Egypt

Egypt says EU aid to continue

World Bulletin/News Desk

European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said Thursday that EU aid to Egypt would continue, the Egyptian government has said in a statement.

According to the statement, Ashton called on the Egyptian government to work on activating the European assistance program with the aim of achieving political stability and economic growth.

Last year, the EU pledged a total of 5 billion euros in aid to Egypt. The European bloc, however, conditioned the assistance on a raft of economic and democratic reforms to be carried out by the Egyptian government.

Speaking at a meeting with Deputy Prime Minister Ziad Bahaa Eddin, Ashton said there were a host of mechanisms and tools that could assist in the implementation of the government's economic and social program.

Bahaa Eddin, for his part, reviewed urgent government measures aimed at reviving the country's faltering economy.

Ashton is set to leave Egypt on Thursday after a two-day visit – her third to Egypt since elected President Mohamed Morsi's ouster three months ago.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 03 Ekim 2013, 22:01

Muhammed Öylek

YORUM EKLE