World Bulletin/News Desk
Jordanian minister of energy has said his country has lost nearly 5 billion dollars due to a shut down on a gas pipeline last month following a bomb attack.
Eygpt and Jordan are in talks to reopen the pipeline, which has been inactive since the attack, Minister Malik al-Kabarity told the AA correspondent on Tuesday.
The pipeline carries natural gas from Egypt to Jordan and Israel, and has been targeted several times since the toppling of former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak two years ago.
"The state-run National Electric Power Company's losses have approached 5 billion dollars since the gas flow stopped," al-Kabarity said.
"Meetings are underway for the resumption of gas pumping."
An engineer working for the Egyptian Natural Gas Company said repair works would begin in a fortnight.
Sources say the Jordanian government is planning to raise price of electricity by 15% in an attempt to compensate for the loss.
The agricultural sector and households are to be exempted.
The latest in a series of attacks to the pipeline took place last month when two remotely activated bombs blew up in northern Egypt close to the town of al-Arish, located near the border with Israel.Güncelleme Tarihi: 13 Ağustos 2013, 17:39