Accidental explosion in Jewish ceremony injures 30

Bonfire in North London goes wrong, possibly due to old cellphone in fire, at ceremony marking holiday of Lag baOmer

Accidental explosion in Jewish ceremony injures 30

World Bulletin / News Desk

Up to 30 people were injured in an explosion during a Jewish ceremony in North London on Wednesday night. 

Around 10 people reportedly suffered burns in the blast when a bonfire went wrong during a ceremony marking the holiday of Lag baOmer in Stamford Hill. 

Amateur footage seen on social media shows the bonfire exploding when a rabbi tried to start the fire, possibly caused by old cellphones put into the bonfire, according to the Yeshiva News. 

“Ten individuals suffered minor injuries following large fire lit as part of local Jewish community celebration in Ravensdale Road, Stamford Hill,” a police statement said.

Up to 20 people also received minor injuries trying to escape the scene in a panic, according to local media reports. 

Jewish ambulance service Hatzola and the London Ambulance Service were at the scene to treat burn victims.

“No criminal allegations reported. No serious injuries,” Hackney police said on Twitter. 

Stamford Hill is a North London district with a large Jewish population.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 03 Mayıs 2018, 09:12