The death toll from the worst flooding in southeastern France in more than 180 years rose to 25 on Thursday, local authorities said.
Tuesday's torrential rain sent torrents of mud pouring through towns and villages in the Var department, inland from the Cote d'Azur. Scores of people were still housed temporarily in schools and other buildings after their homes were swamped.
Prime Minister Francois Fillon said he would head a meeting of ministers to discuss aid measures and President Nicolas Sarkozy plans to visit the area next week.
The Var department prefecture said in a statement the number of dead had risen to 25.
"The emergency services are concentrating for the time being on clearing up in order to rebuild minimal living conditions for the population affected by the disaster," it added.
Emergency operations were halted and the Var's prefect, Hugues Parant, said the death toll might rise still further as floodwaters receded.
More than 350 mm (14 inches) of rain fell on the Var on Tuesday, more than in a typical six-month period.
More than 1,400 people were rescued by helicopter and about one hundred rescue missions were carried out by boat. More than 2,000 people had been taken to shelter since Tuesday.
About 90,000 households remained without electricity and phone lines were down for 15,000 residents.
In the town of Draguignan, the evacuation of 500 prisoners as well as elderly car home residents and patients in a clinic continued until late on Wednesday, local officials said.
Schools and colleges were closed on Thursday but centres were open for students taking high school exams.
According to the Meteo France weather service, the last floods of such magnitude occurred in 1827.
In February, a fierce storm and tidal surge killed 53 people in southwestern France.
ReutersLast Mod: 18 Haziran 2010, 09:13