Farage rules out UKIP return after successor quits

Diane James's resignation plunges Britain's third biggest party into further disarray as it grapples with in-fighting and an existential crisis following the vote to leave the European Union.

Farage rules out UKIP return after successor quits

World Bulletin / News Desk

Nigel Farage ruled out returning to lead Britain's anti-EU UK Independence Party (UKIP) on Wednesday after his successor unexpectedly stepped down just 18 days into the job.

Farage said he remains technically in charge of UKIP as the official papers recognising James's election on September 16 had not yet been processed by the Electoral Commission.

But the 52-year-old MEP, the public face of UKIP and one of the leaders of the Brexit campaign, said he had no intention of returning to the post he held for most of the past decade.

"It is time for somebody else to do the job," Farage told Sky News, adding that he would not return to permanently lead UKIP, "not for $10 million".

He quit the leadership following the June 23 vote to leave the EU, saying his life's ambition had been achieved, but his departure robbed UKIP of its one high-profile figure.

The election of the little-known James, a 56-year-old member of the European Parliament, and the fulfilment of the party's primary objective led some to question its future.

UKIP won 12.6 percent of the vote in the 2015 election, making it the third largest in terms of votes cast, but it only has one member of parliament (MP) under Britain's first-past-the-post system.

Party chairman Paul Oakden said James's departure was "unfortunate" but said UKIP's National Executive Committee would meet on October 17 to begin choosing her successor.

"We are not a party dominated by individuals. We have the ability to move on, to move forward," he told Sky News.

"I would be surprised if we did not have a new leader in place by the end of November."

Güncelleme Tarihi: 05 Ekim 2016, 17:28
YORUM EKLE