FETO event at European Parliament cancelled

Turkish diplomatic pushback results in cancellation of event scheduled for March 8

FETO event at European Parliament cancelled

World Bulletin / News Desk

A lobbying event for the Fetullah Terror Organization (FETO) at the European Parliament has been cancelled as a result of Turkish diplomatic pushback.

According to an invitation letter from the event organizer, a “Public hearing with Fetullah Gulen spokesperson Dr. Alp Aslandogan” was scheduled to be held on March 8 at the European Parliament.

FETO, led by U.S.-based Fetullah Gulen, is accused of orchestrating a coup attempt to overthrow Turkey’s elected government last year, killing around 249 people and wounding some 2,200 others.

The letter said the organizers planned to invite Aslandogan, executive director of the pro-FETO Alliance for Shared Values, and suspected FETO member Ozcan Keles, chairman of the Dialogue Society, to the event in order to clear allegations about FETO and the failed coup.

The program, allegedly organized by the European Greens Group under the EP Presidency and General Secretariat, was cancelled after Turkish pushback.

But speaking on Friday, the Greens Group denied that they had organized the program or sponsored the FETO group.

A Greens official, who asked not to be named due to restrictions on speaking to the media, said the FETO terrorist group had used their name without any official permission.   

Ankara has urged its allies to show solidarity with Ankara’s fight against the terrorist group.

 

Güncelleme Tarihi: 10 Mart 2017, 14:31
YORUM EKLE