World Bulletin/News Desk
Seven men suspected of fighting in Syria have been placed under formal investigation following their arrest in Strasbourg, said a judicial source on Saturday, weeks after Franceunveiled policies to prevent French Muslims from participating in Syria war.
Confirming a report in Le Monde newspaper, the source said the men aged 23 to 25, who were arrested in the eastern French city on Tuesday, were under investigation for criminal conspiracy.
European governments calculate several thousand of their citizens have gone to Syria since the war began three years ago and are worried about the security risk posed by youths.
France, which estimates around 285 of its citizens are currently fighting in Syria among the rebels' ranks, last month launched a plan to prevent its citizens joining the civil war and becoming a threat to their home country.
It also launched a hotline for parents concerned about their children's behaviour.Güncelleme Tarihi: 17 Mayıs 2014, 14:41