French judiciary to open investigation into CAR abuse

Prosecutors in Paris will be opening an investigation into the abuse of African children by French soldiers.

French judiciary to open investigation into CAR abuse

World Bulletin / News Desk

An investigation of alleged child sex abuse by French soldiers in the Central African Republic has begunParis prosecutors said on Thursday.

Prosecutors decided to open the investigation after written consultation with the author of a United Nationsreport that first raised the allegations, the prosecutors' office said in a statement.

A preliminary investigation was opened last July based on the U.N report. That report detailed the alleged abuse from December 2013 to June 2014 at a centre for displaced people at M'Poko airport in the country's capital, Bangui.

The allegations came to light in April after an internal U.N. report summarising interviews with victims was leaked. The report, a copy of which was seen by Reuters, suggests at least 13 French soldiers, two soldiers fromEquatorial Guinea and three Chadian troops had been involved in the alleged abuse.

The six-page document said children who were interviewed alleged they had performed oral sex on the French troops. The soldiers from Equatorial Guinea and Chad were accused of sodomizing children.

The Bangui public prosecutor Ghislain Grezenguet told Reuters on Wednesday local authorities had also opened an investigation after identifying a number of individuals.

France's Defence Ministry said on Thursday the findings of an internal military inquiry would also be declassified.

 

Güncelleme Tarihi: 07 Mayıs 2015, 17:53
YORUM EKLE