French weekly faces withdrawal over Nice attack images

Victims' families and mayor of Nice protest Paris Match's decision to publish images of deadly July 2016 attack

French weekly faces withdrawal over Nice attack images

World Bulletin / News Desk

Paris’ chief prosecutor is asking a court on Thursday to "urgently" take a magazine off the newsstands for publishing graphic images of last year’s deadly Nice attack.

Francois Molins asked "the court to order the withdrawal of the edition" of the current issue of Paris Match weekly and to ban its “broadcasting in all formats, including digital," his office said in a statement, adding that an investigation has begun over "violating the secrecy of an investigation.” 

His urgent request will be examined by the court at 2.00 p.m. local time (1200GMT).

According to Europe 1 radio, Molins launched a last-minute injunction on Wednesday evening in a bid to prevent the magazine from printing screenshots from video surveillance of the Nice attack last July 14 that left 86 people dead and more than 450 wounded.

The magazine defended its decision to publish the images, saying it will defend "the right of the citizens, and first of all the right of the victims, to know what exactly happened during the attack."

Olivier Royant, Paris Match’s editorial director, said the shots were taken at a distance and do not identify the victims or impinge on their dignity and are no different from what other media outlets have made available. 

Eric Morain, a lawyer for the victims’ group FENVAC, called the publication "illegal" and "sensationalist."

The mayor of the French Riviera city also denounced the publication, saying in a statement he had written to France's justice minister.

 

Güncelleme Tarihi: 13 Temmuz 2017, 13:42
YORUM EKLE