Italy bomb attack was probably isolated act-investigator

The bomb attack which killed a teenage girl and injured 10 others in the southern Italian town of Brindisi was probably the work of an individual with no links to the mafia, a senior official said on Sunday.

Italy bomb attack was probably isolated act-investigator

 World Bulletin/News Desk

The bomb attack which killed a teenage girl and injured 10 others in the southern Italian town of Brindisi was probably the work of an individual with no links to the mafia, a senior official said on Sunday.

"It seems to be the work of a single person," Marco Dinapoli, the Brindisi chief prosecutor, who is leading the investigation, told reporters on Sunday, saying that a suspect had already been identified.

"The most probable hypothesis is that it was an isolated act," he said but gave no details about the suspect.

He said investigators had acquired "significant" video evidence which suggested that one man had set off the device, which exploded as pupils at the school were arriving for the start of lessons on Saturday morning.

"At the moment, we don't understand what the motivation for this massacre might be," Dinapoli said. The attack did not appear to be the work of organised crime groups, he said.

"It seems improbable, not entirely to be excluded but improbable, that it is connected mafia networks," he said. Repeat attacks seemed unlikely, Dinapoli said.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 20 Mayıs 2012, 14:26

Muhammed Öylek

YORUM EKLE