World Bulletin / News Desk
Italy’s Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni has warned the Egyptian government of possible “proportional measures” if it did not share more details about a probe into the death of an Italian teenager near Cairo in February.
In remarks made during his speech at the parliament, Gentiloni said Egypt's cooperation over the issue had been insufficient.
Giulio Regeni, a Cambridge University student, vanished on Jan. 25 -- the fifth anniversary of a popular uprising, which forced President Hosni Mubarak to step down after 30 years in power.
At the time of Regeni’s disappearance, Egypt's sprawling security apparatus was on high alert to prevent demonstrations marking the anniversary.
On Feb. 3, the student’s dead body -- bearing signs of extreme abuse and torture -- was found in a ditch on Cairo’s outskirts.
"Italy is ready to take timely and proportional measures against Egypt. We will not let Italy's honored to be trampled on," Gentiloni said.
Egyptian authorities deny any involvement in the teenager’s death.Last Mod: 06 Nisan 2016, 10:05