London terror attack death toll rises

UK police confirm at least 8 people died in London Bridge incident

London terror attack death toll rises

World Bulletin / News Desk

The death toll from Saturday’s terror attack in London now stands at eight after the recovery of a body from the River Thames, British police said on Wednesday.

“Detectives investigating the terrorist attack in London Bridge on Saturday, 3 June, can confirm the number of people that were killed as a result of the attack is now eight,” a Metropolitan Police statement read.

An earlier appeal had sought information on a missing French citizen. The body recovered from the River Thames on Wednesday is believed to be that of missing Frenchman Xavier Thomas, 45.

French President Emmanuel Macron later confirmed there had been a third French victim of the London attack.

"We received confirmation of the new toll this morning. There are three deaths and eight injuries on the French side," Macron said.

Earlier on Wednesday France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian confirmed a second Frenchman had been killed in the attack.

Local media identified the victim as Sebastien Belanger, 36, a chef who had worked at a restaurant in London.

The first of the three French victims was identified earlier -- also in the media -- as Alexandre Pigeard, 26, who was also working in a French restaurant in London's Borough Market.

The other confirmed victims of Saturday’s three-man attack are 32-year-old British web entrepreneur James McMullan, 21-year-old Australian au pair Sara Zelenak, 28-year old Australian nurse Kirsty Boden and 30-year-old former homeless shelter worker Christine Archibald, a Canadian.

Meanwhile, Spanish Foreign Minister Alfonso Dastis expressed his concern over a missing Spanish national, Ignacio Echeverria, saying he was “rather baffled” that the U.K. had not been able to clarify the situation.

“Specialist officers are working with the families of victims to identify those who were killed in Saturday’s attack as soon as possible,” a U.K. government statement read.

Almost 50 people were injured when three attackers drove into crowds in central London before going on a stabbing spree. Police later shot the three assailants dead.

Eighteen of the injured are still in critical condition, according to health officials.

Last Mod: 07 Haziran 2017, 16:58
Add Comment