Two Pakistani men, arrested in a British operation without charging, won appeals against their deportation on Tuesday because of concern for their safety in Pakistan.
Abid Naseer and Ahmad Faraz Khan, both 23, were among 12 men, mostly students, arrested in high-profile raids across northwest England that sparked ctiricisms from Muslim organizations in April 2009. Although there was not enough evidence to charge them and they were ordered to be deported.
The Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC), which deals with such cases, said the two men should not be sent back to Pakistan because of the risk they would be mistreated there.
However, it said it believed Naseer was a security threat and ideally should be removed from Britain. It said Faraz Khan could "safely be taken to have been willing to participate" in Naseer's plans, the Press Association reported.
It said the government believed the men were part of a plot to carry out a "mass casualty" attack in April last year in northwest England.
However, no explosives were found, and the government's case was based around emails exchanged between Naseer and a Pakistan account.
ReutersLast Mod: 19 Mayıs 2010, 08:30