Suspect arrested linked to Berlin attacker released

Germany’s federal prosecutor spokesperson says investigation was ongoing

Suspect arrested linked to Berlin attacker released

World Bulletin / News Desk

A suspect linked to the slain alleged assailant of deadly Christmas market attack in Berlin was released, German authorities said on Thursday.

Frauke Kohler, spokesperson for Germany’s federal prosecutor, said that the suspect was set free after being investigated for possible contact with terrorist group ISIL.

The investigation was ongoing, Kohler added.

The 40-year-old suspect was detained on Wednesday over his suspected links to Anis Amri, the main suspect in last week's attack that killed 12 people and injured nearly 50 others in central Berlin. 

Police investigated Tunisian attacker Amri's mobile phone, where they found the number of a 40-year-old suspect and raided his office and house, the Federal Office of the Chief Prosecutor had said in a written statement. 

Kohler also said that a video of Amri in which he pledged allegiance to ISIL was authentic.

Earlier last week, the ISIL terror group claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement widely traded on social media platforms. 

Kohler also said that the truck, which was used to drive into crowds at the Christmas market, had stopped after 60-80 meters thanks to its emergency brake system.

Amri, a 24-year-old asylum seeker from Tunisia, was killed on Dec. 23 in a shootout at Sesto San Giovanni district in Milan after he was stopped by police.

Last Mod: 29 Aralık 2016, 20:20
Add Comment