World Bulletin / News Desk
Two internal inquiries have been launched by the agency, The Guardian newspaper said. One will be into how Abedi, 22, was overlooked and another evaluating MI5’s systems will be sent to ministers.
It had earlier been reported that suspicions about Abedi’s extremist views were passed to the authorities on at least three separate occasions. Seven children were among 22 people killed when he blew himself up at a pop concert at the Manchester Arena in northwest England on May 22.
Despite questions being raised over the suitability of MI5 investigating itself, Home Secretary Amber Rudd told broadcaster on Sky News: “I think it is right that they do this. In the future, we can look at anything else that might need to be done. As a first step it is absolutely right.”
Last week, Prime Minister Theresa May said Abedi had been under the radar “up to a point”.
Fourteen people are currently in custody in relation to the attack, including a 23-year-old man arrested early Monday in the southern coastal town of Shoreham-by-Sea on suspicion of terrorism offenses.
Greater Manchester Police have said Abedi returned to the U.K. from abroad on May 18.