20 remanded in FETO 'sleeper cells' probe in Turkey

The suspects are held under a probe targeting FETO sleeper cells that infiltrated critical offices in Turkey

20 remanded in FETO 'sleeper cells' probe in Turkey

World Bulletin / News Desk

An Istanbul court Thursday remanded 20 suspects in custody as part of a probe into “sleeper cells” of the Fetullah Terror Organization (FETO), the group blamed for the July 15 defeated coup, a judicial source said.

According to the source, speaking on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media, a total of 39 people were detained last month during a FETO probe of sleeper cells that have infiltrated critical offices in Turkey

Four of the remanded suspects, including deputy governors, are charged with forming a terror organization, while the remaining 16 are accused of belonging to an armed terrorist organization, the sources said. 

The court released 19 others but ordered that they remain in Turkey, the sources added. 

The July 15 coup attempt resulted in the deaths of over 240 people and injured more than 2,100, leading to a nationwide probe to eliminate FETO sleeper cells that had infiltrated state institutions, including the judiciary and army.

Fetullah Gulen, who the Turkish government says heads the Fetullah Terror Organization, has been living in Pennsylvania since 1999.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 06 Ekim 2016, 14:07
YORUM EKLE