Condolences pour in over Turkey's coal mine fire

Condolences from around the world are being sent to Turkey in the aftermath of a coal mine fire that has left 205 miners dead so far.

Condolences pour in over Turkey's coal mine fire

World Bulletin / News Desk

Countries around the world have offered their condolences Wednesday over Tuesday's coal mine fire in western Turkey that has so far claimed 205 lives.

EU Council President Herman Van Rompuy issued a written statement on behalf of the EU, saying, "I wish to express my sincere condolences and deep sympathy to the Turkish Government and to all those affected by the tragic mine accident in Soma."

Council of Europe Secretary-General Thorbjorn Jagland also expressed his condolences for Turkey in a statement which said "we are with our Turkish friends and share their sorrow."

Other European officials, including Martin Schulz, President of the European Parliament, Stefan Fule, European Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighborhood Policy and Commissioner of the European Commission in charge of Home Affairs, Cecilia Malmstrom have also sent their condolences to the families affected by this tragedy.

Elsewhere, Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt said, "My deep condolences to Turkey and all the relatives of the dead miners in Soma affected by this terrible accident," while the Spanish Foreign Ministry issued a message of condolence and stated their hopes that more miners can be saved.

Britain’s Ambassador to Turkey, Richard Moore, in a statement offered condolences to victims' families and said he is praying for the trapped miners.

Ozkan Yorgancioglu, Prime Minister of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, offered his condolences as well, saying, all Turks are in deep sorrow because of the accident.

The Israeli Embassy in Ankara has cancelled its national day reception on Wednesday due to the coal mine fire.

"The State and people of Israel share the grief of the Turkish people and pay condolences to the families of the deceased, wishing a speedy recovery for the wounded and hope for positive news about the ones still in the mine," the embassy said in a written statement.

Additionally the U.S. Ambassador in Ankara, Francis Ricciardone offered his condolences on the official website of the embassy.

"We are following the incidents about the mining disaster in Soma with deep sorrow. I convey my condolences to victims' families on behalf of the people of United States," he said.

"I wish a fast recovery for the injured and hope the trapped miners are rescued soon. You are in our thoughts and prayers."

Meanwhile, the Turkish Football Federation and a great number of professional football clubs in Turkish Spor Toto Super League including Besiktas, Fenerbahce, Galatasaray, Trabzonspor and Bursaspor each expressed their condolences.

Hundreds of miners are still trapped underground, Turkey’s Energy Minister Taner Yildiz said early Wednesday and officials have said that hopes of rescuing any more of trapped coal miners are fading.

Yildiz said 363 miners out of 787 who work at the privately-owned mine have been accounted for, including those who died and the 80 rescued, four of whom are in critical condition.

An exact cause of the blast has yet to be officially announced, but an explosion and fire followed an electrical fault. Yildiz said the deaths were due to carbon monoxide poisoning and ruled out the possibility of firedamp or methane gas explosion.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 14 Mayıs 2014, 13:32
YORUM EKLE