World Bulletin / News Desk
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said on Monday Turkey would be “on the offensive” against extremism following the defeated July 15 coup.
Yildirim was speaking during his visit to the 2nd Border Brigade Command which carries out operations against the PKK in the rural Cukurca district of Turkey’s southeastern province of Hakkari.
The premier told soldiers that Turkey was adopting a new method in the fight against extremism after July 15.
"We will be on the offense, not the defense. We will find and neutralize these cowards wherever they are, in whichever cave and behind whichever stone.
“If we don't do this, we will continue to have to live under this threat," he said.
Yildirim said the government had started comprehensive work to secure the country’s border crossings.
"Hopefully, we will bring them under control in a short time through your operations and other works," he said.
"They [extremists] cluster in 10-12 places in the country. We will keep in line this coward extremist organization which has been engaging our homeland's attention for years and sapping its energy," he added.
The PKK -- listed as a extremist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and the EU -- resumed its decades-old armed campaign in July last year.
Since then, more than 600 security personnel have been martyred and over 7,000 PKK extremists killed.Güncelleme Tarihi: 05 Eylül 2016, 14:30