Turkish forces 'neutralize' nine PKK terror

Interior Ministry also releases figures on operations targeting PKK, ISIL and FETO

Turkish forces 'neutralize' nine PKK terror

World Bulletin / News Desk

Turkish security forces have "neutralized" nine PKK terror since Jan. 2, the country’s Interior Ministry said on Monday.

According to a statement, three of the extremists were killed, four surrendered to the authorities and two were detained, all between Jan. 2 and Jan.9.

The statement said 344 people had been taken into custody during the 253 ground and air operations carried out over the last seven days. Thirty-six of these detainees have since been charged with various offences.

The operations also saw the destruction of 48 shelters and 45 makeshift explosives/mines.

The PKK -- listed as a terror organization by Turkey, the U.S. and the EU -- resumed its decades-old armed campaign in July 2015.

Over 1,100 people, including over 800 security personnel and over 300 civilians, have lost their lives in PKK attacks since then.

More than 4,000 security personnel and over 2,000 civilians have also been injured.

Monday’s statement also said 129 people linked to the ISIL extremist organization were taken into custody during the operations last week.

A total of 627 people linked to the Fetullah Terror Organization (FETO) were also detained over the same period and 406 have since been charged with various offences.

Led by U.S.-based Fetullah Gulen, FETO is accused of orchestrating the July 15 coup plot in Turkey as well as being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police and judiciary.

The defeated coup left 248 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.

 

Güncelleme Tarihi: 09 Ocak 2017, 14:05
YORUM EKLE