World Bulletin/News Desk
Governor of the violence-wracked Iraqi province of Anbar vowed to sack dozens of government employees accused of taking up arms against government army and security forces.
In a statement, Ahmed al-Dulaimi said authorities received reports on dozens of employees in the province's customs department being involved in "terrorist acts" against security forces in the restive western, predominantly Sunni province.
Local Sunni tribes opposed to Iraq's Shiite-dominated government have reacted angrily to civilian causalities caused by an ongoing military campaign launched last December in the province.
The government said the operation aims to hunt down members of the Iraq-based Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) militant group.
Recently, Anbar's local authorities urged Anbar's tribesmen to stop fighting security forces in exchange for amnesty.
On Friday, al-Dulaimi announced that "90 percent" of Anbar's capital Ramadi had been freed of ISIL presence.
Last Mod: 16 Şubat 2014, 13:36