World Bulletin / News Desk
Iraq is reeling from one of the worst car bombings it has ever suffered, with a death toll that surpassed 200 on Monday.
Here is a reminder of the bloodiest attacks in Iraq since the US-led invasion in 2003.
-- 2016 --
- July 3: At least 213 people are killed when a suicide car bomber attacks a busy shopping area in the Baghdad district of Karrada. The blast is claimed by the ISIL, which has been driven out of Fallujah by Iraqi forces a week earlier.
- May 11: IS claims three car bombs in Baghdad -- including a huge blast in the predominantly Shiite district of Sadr City -- that kill a total of 94 people.
-- 2013 --
- August 10: Simultaneous attacks in Baghdad at the end of Ramadan kill 74 people. They are claimed by the Iraqi branch of Al-Qaeda, from which IS emerged.
-- 2009 --
- October 25: 153 people are killed and more than 500 wounded when two car bombs explode in Baghdad in attacks claimed by an Al-Qaeda-linked group.
- August 19: 106 people are killed and almost 600 wounded when two truck bombs explode near the foreign and finance ministries in Baghdad. Al-Qaeda in Iraq claims responsibility, with Iraqi authorities later incriminating a branch of the Baath party in Syria.
-- 2007 --
- August 14: More than 400 people are slaughtered when four suicide truck bombs target members of the ancient Yazidi religious sect in two Kurdish villages in northern Iraq.
- July 16: A suicide bomber ploughs into a Kurdish party office in the northern city of Kirkuk, taking 84 lives and injuring 185 people.
- July 7: As many as 150 people are killed in a suicide truck bombing in Emerli village in northern Iraq.
- April 18: A wave of car bomb attacks on Shiite districts of Baghdad leaves 190 dead.
- March 27: An anti-Shiite attack in the northern town of Tal Afar kills 152.
- March 6: 118 Shiite pilgrims are slaughtered across the country, including at least 90 who died when two suicide attackers set off bombs in the overwhelmingly Shiite city of Hilla.
- February 3: A suicide truck bomb attack in a Baghdad market kills at least 130.
-- 2006 --
- November 23: At least 202 die in a string of car bombings in Baghdad's Sadr City.
-- 2005 --
- September 14: At least 128 people are killed as a suicide bomber targets day labourers in the Baghdad Shiite district of Kadhimiyah.
- February 28: At least 118 people are killed and scores more wounded when a suicide bombing hits Hilla.
-- 2004 --
- March 2: Bomb attacks on Shiites in Karbala and Baghdad kill more than 170 and wound 550.
- February 1: One hundred and five people are killed when twin suicide bombers blow themselves up at the headquarters of two Kurdish political parties in Arbil.
-- 2003 --
- August 29: A car bomb kills 83 people, including leading politician Ayatollah Mohammed Baqer al-Hakim, outside one of Shiite Islam's holiest shrines in Najaf.Güncelleme Tarihi: 04 Temmuz 2016, 15:45