Four security personnel and two civilians were killed in two separate attacks in western and southern Iraq on Monday, according to security officials.
A group of Daesh militants attacked military forces and allied Sunni militiamen in Hit district in the western Anbar province, Police Lieutenant Emad al-Amuri told Anadolu Agency.
“Two soldiers and two fighters were killed in the attack,” al-Amuri added.
Last December, officials in Baghdad declared that Daesh's military presence in Iraq had been all but dismantled following operations backed by the U.S.-led International Alliance.
However, from time to time, Iraqi officials announce operations against Daesh-affiliated "sleeper cells" in certain parts of the country.
Meanwhile, two civilians were killed in a drive-by shooting in the southern Basra province.
“The gunmen opened fire on the victims in daylight and in front of passers-by and fled the scene unscathed,” First Lieutenant Rafed al-Nawras said.
The motives of the attack remain unknown.