Ankara bomb attack sees worldwide coverage

International media cover deadly blast in Ankara

Ankara bomb attack sees worldwide coverage

World Bulletin / News Desk

Sunday night’s car bomb attack in Ankara's central Kizilay neighborhood which left 37 dead has received global media coverage.

The attack in Kizilay Square, a central public transport hub, killed 37 people and left dozens in hospital as of Monday morning. The car bomb detonated at around 6.45 p.m. local time (1645 GMT) near a row of bus stops outside an entrance to the metro station.

The BBC headlined its coverage with "Ankara bombing: President Erdogan vows to bring terror 'to its knees'."

The U.K.’s Guardian newspaper wrote: "Turkey’s president vowed to defeat those responsible for a series of attacks on Turkey in the past 18 months."

The Financial Times wrote: "The bombing, which took place early Sunday evening at a crowded transportation hub a few hundred meters from Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu’s office, was the second in less than a month — highlighting the risks to Turkey’s internal security at a complicated and violent time in the region."

Last month, a car bomb targeting military buses killed 29 people in Ankara and in October a twin suicide bombing killed 103 people at a peace rally in the city.

Germany's Suddeutsche Zeitung covered the story with the headline: "Erdogan: We will bring terror to knees".

The French media also published Ankara attack coverage as a main story. Le Figaro said: “The center of Ankara once again hit by deadly attack".

Spain's El Pais newspaper said the attack targeted civilians in contrast to the Feb. 17 attack which targeted military buses.

Italy's La Repubblica newspaper wrote that the attack had targeted a crowded region. La Stampa said: "Terrorist organization PKK suspected behind the attack".

Following the blast, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said investigators had evidence about who was behind the attack, which would be made public at the end of the investigation.

Austrian newspaper Die Presse said: "Attack took place near Guvenpark. There are many civilians among victims."

Serbian news agency Tanjug ran with the headline: "New attack in Ankara".

Güncelleme Tarihi: 14 Mart 2016, 15:22
YORUM EKLE