TURKEY PRESS SCAN ON JULY 24

These are some of the major headlines and their summaries in Turkish press on July 24, 2010. The World Bulletin does not verify these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.

TURKEY PRESS SCAN ON JULY 24

 

HURRIYET
--------
YAS SLEDGEHAMMER
Before the Supreme Military Council (AYAS) to convene on August 1-4 to discuss promotion and new assignments of officers, Istanbul Criminal Court No:10 ruled that 102 people, including 28 generals on duty, in the case concerning the coup plan "Balyoz" (Sledgehammer).
Among those whom the court ruled to be arrested are former Air Forces Commander retired general Ibrahim Firtina, former Naval Forces Commander retired admiral Ozden Ornek, and former First Army Commander retired general Cetin Dogan.
Also, Sixth Army Corps. Commander General Nejat Bek, North Sea Field Commander Admiral Mehmet Otuzbiroglu, South Sea Field Commander Admiral Kadir Sagdic, and War Academy Deputy Commander General Yurdaer Olcan are wanted.
This decision has influenced the council before it convened. The council is looking for answers of how to promote the officers who are suspects of the Balyoz case.
Last year, Levent Gorgec, Bekir Kalyoncu and Nusret Tasdeler were promoted although their names were involved in several investigations.

WE SHOULD BE POSITIVE ON BAYKAL-SARIGUL MEETING
Kemal Kilicdaroglu, the chairman of the Republican People's Party (CHP), speaking on the meeting between Sisli Mayor Mustafa Sarigul and former CHP leader Deniz Baykal, said, "we should consider the meeting as one to eliminate former offenses."
Kilicdaroglu said every one should be positive on the meting, whereas CHP Secretary General Onder Sav defined it as "meaningful."

MILLIYET
--------
FINE ADJUSTMENT AT YAS
Turkish Armed Forces will appoint its new top commanders at a Supreme Military Council (YAS) meeting on August 1, overshadowed by lawsuits filed against some of the commanders. The meeting has become critical because of investigations against army members and arrest warrants in Sledgehammer probe. Because commanders, who are under an investigation or standing trial, cannot be promoted.
Gen. Isik Kosaner will become the new Chief of General Staff at the military council meeting. Gen. Necdet Ozel, who will be the next military chief after Kosaner, will be appointed as the commander of the gendarmerie for one year, in a move to help him gain experience of National Security Council. He will become the Chief of General Staff after his position as the commander of Land Forces.
First Army commander Gen. Hasan Igsiz will be appointed as the new Land Forces Commander at August 1 meeting of YAS if there is a compromise on his name as he was accused of being the one to order "the Action Plan to Fight Fundamentalism."

ARREST WARRANT FOR 28 GENERALS
An arrest warrant was issued against 28 generals and admirals of the Turkish Armed Forces. Former force commanders Ibrahim Firtina, Ozden Ornek and former Firt Army Commander Cetin Dogan are among 17 retired generals whom the court ordered to be arrested.

SABAH
-----
102 ARREST WARRANT IN BALYOZ CASE
Istanbul Criminal Court No:10 issued warrants of arrest for 102 suspects in the case "Balyoz" (Sledgehammer). 19 of the suspects are retired and 28 of them are generals and admirals on duty. The suspects are expected to be sent to prison.
Retired commanders Cetin Dogan, Ozden Ornek, Ibrahim Firtina, Ergin Saygun and Sukru Sariisik are in the list. Also, Sea Field commanders Admiral Mehmet Otuzbiroglu and Kadir Sagdic are included in the list. The first hearing will be at the Silivri prison on December 16.

MUNEVVER NIGHTMARE
The MSN chat records of Tulay Makbule Garipoglu, the mother of Cem Garipoglu--killer of Munevver Karabulut, were revealed. Mother Garipoglu chatted with her cousin and said she was having nightmares every night. "I will go crazy as I think of that poor girl. In my dreams, I see my children beheaded."

VATAN
-----
ARREST WARRANT FOR 102 COMMANDERS
The civilian court to deal with the case concerning the coup plan "Balyoz" (Sledgehammer) made a surprising decision, and issued warrants of arrest for 102 senior officers, including 27 generals and admirals on duty in critical offices, and two former force commanders.
Under the decision taken unanimously, retired general Cetin Dogan, former Naval Forces Commander Ozden Ornek and former Air Forces Commander Ibrahim Firtina will be sent to prison.

BLOODY EVIDENCE
The video footage recorded by police in Cem Garipoglu's villa after he had beheaded Munevver Karabulut once more revealed the violence. The footage shows that a shirt belonging to father Garipoglu had spots caused by Munevver's blood. The saw Cem used to behead Munevver is wrapped in a newspaper in the footage.

CUMHURIYET
----------
AGAIN "BALYOZ"
Istanbul Criminal Court No: 10 decided unanimously to arrest 102 suspects, including 76 officers on duty including South Sea Field Commander Kadir Sagdic and North Sea Field Commander Admiral Mehmet Otuzbiroglu. The trial will begin on December 16.

ISRAEL ALARM IN ANKARA
Ankara tightened measures for Israeli women's volleyball team for the quartet finals of the 2010 European Women's League to take place at the TVF Baskent Volleyball Hall.

RADIKAL
-------
SLEDGEHAMMER HITS HARD
A new wave of arrests came in "Sledgehammer plan" case. An Istanbul court that accepted the indictment issued warrant of arrest for 102 suspects out of 196, including former force commanders retired Adm. Ozden Ornek and retired Gen. Ibrahim Firtina.

NO PROMOTION FOR OFFICERS UNDER ARREST
Recent court ruling caused a controversy over promotions of military officers who faced arrest warrant. Gen, Metin Gurak, head of General Staff's Communication dept., pointed at the 65th article of the Personnel Act of the Turkish Armed Forces which says, "officers who are under arrest or who are still on trial cannot be promoted."

CAGLAYAN CALLS THY FROM HOUSTON,
SAYS "START DIRECT FLIGHTS TO HOUSTON"
Turkish State Minister for foreign trade Zafer Caglayan held talks in Houston, the largest city of Texas, United States. During a meeting of 300 people, Caglayan phoned Temel Kotil, CEO of Turkey's flag carrier Turkish Airlines (THY), and asked for direct flights from Istanbul to Houston. However, Kotil said Houston was not part of THY's plans for 2011. So, Caglayan pledged 300 people to start THY flights to Houston in 2012. 

 TURKIYE
-------
GUL: ARTICLE 35 SHOULD BE RE-ARRANGED
President Abdullah Gul expressed his view regarding the Article 35 of the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) Internal Service Law that paves the way for military interventions. Gul said the article had been misused so far. "The parliament should handle the issue, and this article should be re-written in order to prevent misunderstandings and any type of exploitation."

CAPTIVITY TO END FOR MAVI MARMARA SHIP
Israel will give Turkey back "Mavi Marmara" and two other aid ships it had seized after a bloody attack that killed nine Turks. A backward step from Tel Aviv! The "Mavi Marmara" ship which was turned into a bloodshed due to a raid of Israeli soldiers when it was carrying aid to Gaza, will return to Turkey. Also, ships "Defne" and "Gazze" kept in Ashdod port will come back to Turkey.

ZAMAN
-----
ARREST WARRANT FOR 102 SUSPECTS
Istanbul Criminal Court No:12 unanimously adopted the "Balyoz" (Sledgehammer) indictment, and issued arrest warrants for 102 suspects, including two retired force commanders and almost 30 generals on duty. Retired general Cetin Dogan and suspects who were formerly released wil be re-arrested. The first hearing will be in Silivri on December 16.

ALL TSK PERSONNEL IN OFFICE EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE SUSPECTS
General Metin Gurak, the head of the Communication Department of the General Staff, made interesting remarks when eulogizing Hakkari Divison Commander Gen. Gurbuz Kaya, who is a suspect of the "Balyoz" (Sledgehammer) case. Kaya is reponsible for a region where 64 soldiers were killed in the last two months. Gurak said, "all personnel of the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) are in office even though they are suspects in ongoing cases or even though they are shown guilty as their innocence presumption is violated."

YENI SAFAK
----------
102 COMMANDERS TO BE JAILED
An Istanbul court issued arrest warrants for 102 military officers including former force commanders retired generals Ibrahim Firtina and Ozden Ornek as well as former 1st Army commander Cetin Dogan. They are the suspects of "Sledgehammer" case. The first hearing of the case will be held on December 16.

TURKISH TAXI CAB FOR NEW YORK
Turkish carmaker Karsan attended "the Taxi of Tomorrow", a project to design and build taxi cabs of New York city. Karsan's Executive Director Jan Nahum said company's move should be seen as a triggering act for Turkish automotive industry.
 

AA

Güncelleme Tarihi: 24 Temmuz 2010, 10:41
YORUM EKLE