World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkish dailies on Wednesday covered the aftermath of the Ankara attack that killed at least 97 people as well the official unveiling of prototypes of the first Turkish-made car.
“Two organizations” was MILLIYET’s headline. Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said the authorities were tracking two trails over the attack, according to MILLIYET.
“We are working very hard to identify one of the suicide bombers while locating the other’s links. We have good evidence to reach a conclusion. We have another trail on how this attack was prepared. These [trails point to] two different organizations,” Davutoglu told a group of reporters in Ankara on Tuesday, according to the daily.
So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the attack. Prime Minister Davutoglu said on Monday that the prime suspect was ISIL.
Davutoglu said the attack was aimed at the “Turkish nation and its democracy”.
“Similarly to the Suruc attack [the suicide bombing claimed the lives of 32 victims on July 20], this assault targeted a sensitive part of the nation,” the Turkish premier said.
The twin explosions killed at least 97 people gathering for a peace rally in capital Ankara on Saturday. Hundreds were also injured.
“Turkey can destroy these weapons if necessary,” was HURRIYET’s headline, reporting on Prime Minister Davutoglu’s talk with reporters.
HURRIYET reported that Davutoglu strongly criticized Washington’s military aid to the Kurdish Democratic Union Party's (PYD) that Ankara considers as the Syrian extension of the PKK.
Turkey, the U.S. and Europe have listed the PKK as a terrorist organization.
The U.S. media reported that Washington airdropped 50 tons of small arms ammunition and grenades in northern Syria on Sunday after effectively ending the failing train-and-equip program, which was supposed to train moderate opposition forces to take on Bashar al-Assad's troops.
“Turkey will convey [a message] the United States that Turkey does not accept such aid. No one can convince us that this military aid would not be handed to the PKK. If we determine that these [weapons] are being used in Turkey, we will destroy them,” Davutoglu said, according to HURRIYET.
YENI SAFAK reported that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan ordered the State Supervisory Council -- Turkey's highest auditing body -- to inspect the Ankara bombing.
HABERTURK said the Interior Ministry had dismissed certain top police officials in the capital.
Ankara police chief Kadri Kartal, and the heads of the security and intelligence departments were relieved of their duties.
Domestic dailies also covered the unveiling of prototypes of the first Turkish-made car.
“Here is the domestic car,” was STAR’s headline, reporting on Turkish Technology Minister Fikri Isik’s announcement that three prototypes of the first Turkish car had been developed.
“We aim to produce 30-40 vehicles to test in all weather conditions, and then to start production in Turkey by the end of 2019,” Isik said.
But certain dailies such as MILLIYET reported that the car’s general structure was inspired by Sweden-based SAAB’s 9-3 model and the front section was influenced by the U.S.-based Cadillac’s BLS model.
“Swedish spirit in the national car” was MILLIYET’s headline while ZAMAN said: “Domestic car turned out to be a Cadillac”.
In sports news, dailies rejoiced over Turkey's qualification for the 2016 European football championship in France after their 1-0 win against Iceland in the final minutes of the game.
“Crazy Turks” was HABERTURK’s headline while MILLIYET wrote “Miracle”.
As the best third-place team in the nine qualifying groups, Turkey avoided having to contest a playoff fixture next month.Güncelleme Tarihi: 14 Ekim 2015, 12:08