World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkish dailies on Tuesday mainly covered the violation of Turkey’s air space by Russian fighter jets, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's remarks in Brussels on the refugees and PKK, and acquittal demand for Fenerbahce President Aziz Yildirim.
STAR ran the front-page headline: “We will shoot down [Russian fighter jets] if [such a violation] happens again," referring to the Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu’s remarks in a live interview Monday on Haberturk TV.
"Whoever violates our airspace, even a bird, we will do what is necessary," Davutoglu added.
A Russian fighter jet was intercepted Saturday by Turkish warplanes after violating Turkey’s air space, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said Monday.
"High tension in the air,” was HURRIYET‘s headline, reporting that the Russian ambassador had been summoned to the Turkish Foreign Ministry on Monday.
MILLIYET’s headline read "Dangerous game on our border," while VATAN echoed a similar sentiment with the headline: "Russian roulette in the air".
The dailies also covered President Erdogan's remarks in Brussels regarding Syrian refugees as well as the PKK.
"Refugee crisis should not go on this way," HURRIYET said in its headline. Erdogan, speaking at a joint press conference with European Council President Donald Tusk on Monday, said Turkey has already spent $7.5 billion sheltering refugees since the start of the conflict in Syria.
SABAH ran with the headline: "We are fighting against terror", a comment made by Erdogan during the press conference regarding the PKK.
"We cannot speak of good terrorist versus bad terrorist," citing Erdogan.
The newspaper reported that Erdogan called on the EU member states to take a tougher stance against the PKK.
"PYD [Democratic Union Party, the Syrian affiliate of the PKK] is a terrorist organization like the PKK and they work together,” the daily quoted Erdogan as saying.
The demand for an acquittal for Fenerbahce President Aziz Yildirim was also covered by several newspapers.
"Match-fixing prosecutor wants an acquittal," HURRIYET wrote.
The charges allege that Yildirim, 62, rigged games and offered payments to rival players and club officials. They stem from a scandal during the 2010/11 season in Turkey’s top football division when the Istanbul club became champion thanks to a four-goal difference over second-place Trabzonspor.
On Monday, in a seven-page document submitted to the Istanbul’s High Criminal Court no: 13, prosecutor Abdullah Mirza Coskun said the charges of match-fixing and establishing a criminal organization should be dropped on the grounds of insufficient evidence.
Yildirim was convicted in 2012 but released on appeal. If he is convicted again, he would return to prison and be forced to step down as president, a position he has occupied since 1998.Güncelleme Tarihi: 06 Ekim 2015, 13:10