1,399 killed in Hajj disasters: AP count

US-based news agency's new tally shows 630 more causalities than Saudi Arabia-provided official toll.

1,399 killed in Hajj disasters: AP count

World Bulletin / News Desk

The crane crush and stampede last month in Saudi Arabia's holy city of Mecca killed at least 1,399 people during the hajj pilgrimage, an Associated Press' tally Thursday showed.

The AP count of the dead is based on tolls offered by 18 of the over 100 countries that took part in the hajj this year. Iran said it had 465 pilgrims killed, while Egypt lost 148 and Indonesia 120.

Others include Nigeria with 99, Pakistan with 89, India with 81, Mali with 70, Bangladesh with 63, Senegal with 54, Benin with 51, Cameroon with 42, Ethiopia with 31, Morocco with 27, Algeria with 25, Ghana with 12, Chad with 11, Kenya with eight and Turkey with three.

Saudi officials have said their official figure of 769 killed and 934 injured remains accurate, though an investigation into the causes of the tragedy is ongoing and authorities have not updated the casualty toll since Sept. 26, two days after the disaster.

Authorities have said the crush and stampede occurred when two waves of pilgrims converged on a narrow road, causing hundreds of people to suffocate or be trampled to death.

With hundreds missing, a final death toll remains in question, even as the latest count brings the number of dead even closer to the deadliest disaster to ever strike the hajj — a stampede in 1990 that killed 1,426 people.

 

Güncelleme Tarihi: 09 Ekim 2015, 10:34
YORUM EKLE