World Bulletin/News Desk
The Egyptian government announced on Saturday that 173 people were killed and 1330 others were wounded in violence that gripped the country on Friday.
"Ninety-five people were killed and 596 were wounded in Cairo, while 78 were killed and 734 were injured in 18 other provinces," Sherif Shawqi, the government's media advisor, told a press conference.
The official death toll is very close to a tally compiled by Anadolu Agency based on medical and security forces, which put the fatalities at 186.
The government media advisor did not identify the number of security personnel killed Friday, only stating that 57 security personnel had been killed and 563 wounded since Wednesday.
The Muslim Brotherhood and the National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy, a coalition of largely Islamist parties and figures supportive of ousted president Mohamed Morsi, describe the Friday violence as a "genocide" against peaceful demonstrations.
The government, however, said "80 percent of the killings resulted from attacks by armed Muslim Brotherhood members against citizens and policemen."
Morsi supporters staged a wave of mass rallies in several Egyptian cities Friday to protest Wednesday's violent dispersal of the two main sit-ins in Cairo's Rabaa al-Adawiya Square and Giza's Nahda Square.
The pro-Morsi Alliance has put the number of deaths from the Rabaa sit-in alone at some 2,600.Güncelleme Tarihi: 18 Ağustos 2013, 09:03