World Bulletin / News Desk
The Ansar Beit al-Maqdis group on Saturday claimed responsibility for an armed attack on a northern Cairo military police checkpoint, which left six conscripts dead.
In a Facebook statement, the group said that it had carried out the attack after keeping the soldiers under watch for several hours.
Earlier on Saturday, a senior security source told state TV that two bombs found near the checkpoint had also been deactivated. The army blamed the attack on ousted Islamist President Mohamed Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood group, according to a military statement.
There have been several militant attacks on security forces since the army overthrew Morsi last July and about 300 security officers have been killed.
Analysts expect attacks on security forces to increase in the coming months when a presidential vote is due to take place and is expected to be won by army Field Marshal chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.
One army officer was killed in an attack on an army bus on Thursday which Egypt also blamed on the Brotherhood, declared a terrorist group by the government in December.
The Brotherhood, which says it is committed to peaceful activism, condemned Thursday's attack and accused the military-backed government of trying to implicate it for political reasons.
Sinai-based militant group Ansar Beit al-Maqdis has claimed responsibility for a series of high-profile attacks on senior security officials, including an assassination attempt on the interior minister last year.
Brotherhood leaders denies role in Cairo army attack
A senior Muslim Brotherhood leader on Saturday denied involvement in a deadly attack in northern Cairo, which killed five military policemen.
"It is not right to blame the Brotherhood for the attack without evidence or investigation," Amr Darrag, a member of the Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party (FJP), told Anadolu Agency.
"These attacks are foreign to the Egyptian people," he said.
Five soldiers were killed when unidentified militants attacked a military police checkpoint in the northern Cairo suburb of Shubra al-Khaima early Saturday.
Army spokesman Ahmed Ali blamed the Brotherhood, the movement from which ousted president Mohamed Morsi hails, for the attack.
The spokesman said that the attackers killed the soldiers shortly after they had performed the dawn prayer, the first of five Muslim daily prayers.
The Brotherhood usually denies involvement in attacks against army and police forces and describes the assaults as "sinful aggressions".Güncelleme Tarihi: 15 Mart 2014, 15:12