Ansar Beit al-Maqdis denies responsibility for Cairo blast

At least five people were injured when a home-made bomb struck near a public bus near Al-Azhar University in Cairo on Thursday.

Ansar Beit al-Maqdis denies responsibility for Cairo blast

World Bulletin / News Desk

A militant group has denied responsibility for a bomb blast near a public bus in Egyptian capital Cairo.

At least five people were injured when a home-made bomb struck near a public bus near Al-Azhar University in Cairo on Thursday.

In a statement, Ansar Beit al-Maqdis said it has no relation to the bombing.

"Our war is against [Defense Minister Abdel-Fattah] al-Sisi and Interior Minister [Mohamed Ibrahim], not against innocents," it added.

The group had earlier claimed responsibility for a deadly bombing at a security checkpoint in the Nile Delta city of Mansoura on Tuesday, which killed 16 people, mostly policemen.

Ansar Beit al-Maqdis has claimed several recent attacks against Egyptian army and security forces, including a failed September assassination attempt on Ibrahim.

Egypt has been in turmoil since the military removed elected president Mohamed Morsi from power on July 3 following mass protests against his administration.

Egypt to tighten security amid increased blasts

Egypt's Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim said Thursday that his ministry would beef up security nationwide after two explosions rocked the country in three days.

"The Interior Ministry would not be lenient in the face of terrorist groups that aim to spread panic with the aim of hindering the country's roadmap," Ibrahim was quoted by a ministry statement as saying during a security meeting.

More patrols backed by explosive detection dogs as well as bomb disposal teams would be deployed across the country, the minister said. More police presence would be maintained around vital facilities and education buildings in cooperation with the army, he added.

"Policemen would also firmly confront any unauthorized protests by the terrorist Muslim Brotherhood group," he said.

The Brotherhood has rejected the government's allegations and denied any link to the attacks, which it also condemned.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 27 Aralık 2013, 10:29
YORUM EKLE