World Bulletin / News Desk
A coalition of groups calling for the reinstatement of ousted Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi has called for fresh rallies on Friday to mark the passage of three months since the violent August 14 dispersal of two pro-democracy sit-ins in which hundreds of demonstrators were killed.
"Protests will be staged in Cairo and nationwide," Magdi Salem, a leader of the National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy, told Anadolu Agency.
To be held under the banner "No to vengeance," the rallies will come one day after the expiry of a three-month state of emergency imposed by the military-backed authorities in the wake of the sit-in dispersals.
Salem stressed that no demonstrations, however, would be staged in Cairo's Rabia al-Adawiya or Nahda squares, which had hosted the two ill-fated sit-ins this summer.
Hundreds of people were killed when Egyptian security forces violently cleared the two pro-democracy protest sites in mid-August.
Immediately following the dispersal, the army-backed authorities declared a countrywide state of emergency and a nighttime curfew. The state of emergency is set to expire on Thursday.
The planned Friday rallies follow a Wednesday message from the detained ousted president, in which he asserted that what happened to him on July 3 had been a "full-fledged military coup" and "treason" against the Egyptian people.
In a message read out by a lawyer who visited him in his Alexandria jail on Tuesday, Morsi said the July 3 coup against him was already in a state of "collapse," adding that the blood of those who had recently fallen in defense of democratic legitimacy would pave the way ahead.
"I salute the steadfastness of our people," he said. "Their blood will draw the road of pride for this country."Güncelleme Tarihi: 14 Kasım 2013, 10:22