World Bulletin/News Desk
A bomber drove an explosives-laden car into a checkpoint manned by Shi'ite Muslim fighters in northern Yemen on Friday, killing at least three people, officials and local people said.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
A Houthi source said the attacker had been heading for a Houthi cultural centre but when stopped at the checkpoint nearby, he detonated the car there. He said two Houthis were killed in the blast.
At least 24 people have been killed this week in fighting between Shi'ite Muslim fighters and the army and allied Sunni tribesmen. Intense sectarian conflict this year has undermined attempts at national reconciliation in Yemen.
The Houthis - who control much of the northern Saada province bordering Saudi Arabia - also blew up a Sunni religious education centre in Omran province in the north on Friday, local sources said.
Last month the Yemeni army launched its biggest offensive in nearly two years to try to dislodge militants from southern strongholds, after a wave of attacks on government officials, security forces, foreigners and energy facilities.Güncelleme Tarihi: 23 Mayıs 2014, 17:37