World Bulletin/News Desk
The Gaza Interior Ministry said on Saturday that Gaza's southern border with Egypt was subject to tight supervision and strike security measures.
The ministry added in a statement that the Gaza Strip had nothing to do with events unfolding in Egypt, apparently in reference to a deadly attack in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula on Friday.
"We will not allow the security of our border to be harmed," the ministry said in the statement. "We consider Egypt's national security a top Palestinian priority," it added.
Egypt was wrapped in a funereal mood on Saturday, one day after the attack, which targeted a military site in the Sinai Peninsula, just on the border with the Gaza Strip.
Among the measures Egypt took after the attack was the closure of the Rafah crossing point on the border with Gaza indefinitely. Egypt is also expected to create a buffer zone along the border with the Palestinian territory.
On Saturday, the Gaza Interior Ministry said a network of underground tunnels that used to exist on the border with Egypt had already become something of the past.
It called on Egypt to exclude the Gaza Strip from any post-attack measures that could worsen the suffering of its population who have been suffering an all-out Israeli blockade since 2007.
The Interior Ministry described the Friday attack against the Egyptian troops as a "despicable crime", offering its condolences to the Egyptian people and government.Last Mod: 25 Ekim 2014, 23:13