A spokesman for Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood slammed as “threats” a warning issued by the Interior Ministry that it has authorized its troops to use live ammunitions against attacks on facilities or troops.
“The threats of the interior ministry are not convincing to anyone, and they are nothing but an attempt to cover up its massacres which it started since July 3,” Ahmed Aref told Anadolu Agency.
Earlier in the day, the ministry said it had made that decision in light of "the Muslim Brotherhood's terrorist attacks targeting of government and police facilities in several provinces and attempts to storm these facilities, set them afire and seize the arms inside."
Aref slammed the accusations, saying that the Brotherhood condemns any attempt to attack or torch any state building.
“The Interior Minister should search well in the ranks of the thugs and the plainclothes police behind similar things in the first year of Morsi’s term,” Aref charged.
“The minister always cited the police’s inability to face such attacks. But now, such efficiency only shows against the innocent people,” he added.
Meanwhile, a spokesman for the Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party condemned a recent wave of attacks against churches and Coptic property.
“Even if some Coptic leaders partook in the July 3 coup for one reason or another, that doesn’t justify any attack against them,” Murad Ali said.
“Our revolution is peaceful and we would keep taking to the streets without violence or sabotage.”
At least 18 Coptic churches across Egypt were attacked on Wednesday as political violence raged nationwide. Al-Azhar, Egypt's most venerable Islamic institution, condemned the attacks, saying such incidents were "religiously forbidden" and served to distort the image of Islam and its teachings.